If you're planning on building or remodelling your kitchen, you know that the cabinets are one of the most expensive elements of the entire project. Because of this, you may be tempted to save money by re-facing your existing cabinets or settling for pre-made, off-the-rack cabinets. However, spending that extra money for custom cabinets offers a number of benefits, not the least of which is their perfect fit, no matter how quirky your kitchen space may be.
Benefits of custom kitchen cabinets
1. Perfect fit. With custom cabinets, you get an exact fit, even if you live in a century home with less-than-plumb corners and floors. When you opt for custom cabinets, your carpenter can adjust your cabinets to fit in virtually any space so you don't have any wasted or empty spaces.
2. Durability. Custom cabinets are made to last and are generally crafted of superior materials to those used in ready-made cabinets. Of course, custom cabinets will have a longer lifespan than if you re-face your existing cabinets that already have served you for many years.
3. Individualized. When you choose custom cabinets, you have many more choices in styles, types of cabinets, and finishes than you have when you use ready-made cabinets. If you've always wanted a custom wine rack in your kitchen or a spice drawer, you can have it built into your custom cabinet plan.
4. Keeping it local. When you opt for custom cabinets, you'll be using a local craftsman to install them, put up the trim, and add any decorative elements. By choosing custom, you're keeping a large portion of the money you spend on your remodelling project in the local economy, rather than sending it to the corporate headquarters of a big box store.
5. Greater resale value. Lastly, custom cabinets will add a greater value to your home when it comes time to put your home on the market. Potential buyers will appreciate the quality, uniqueness and workmanship in custom cabinets over pre-made, off-the-shelf cabinets. While you may have no plans to move right now, the average homeowner only stays in his or her home for 13 years.
While custom kitchen cabinets may not be the right choice for every homeowner looking to remodel their kitchen, opting for custom versus ready-made cabinets will ensure you a perfect fit, allow you to add those unique cabinets you've always wanted and reduce the amount of unused space in your kitchen.
Talk with custom furniture builders, like Paul Rene Furniture and Cabinetry, for more information.Share